On the morning of September 4, 1957, fifteen-year-old Dorothy Counts set out on a harrowing path toward Harding High, where-as the first African American to attend the all-white school – she was greeted by a jeering swarm of boys who spat, threw trash, and yelled epithets at her as she entered the building.
Charlotte Observer photographer Don Sturkey captured the ugly incident on film, and in the days that followed, the searing image appeared not just in the local paper but in newspapers around the world.
People everywhere were transfixed by the girl in the photograph who stood tall, her five-foot-ten-inch frame towering nobly above the mob that trailed her. There, in black and white, was evidence of the brutality of racism, a sinister force that had led children to torment another child while adults stood by. While the images display a lot of evils: prejudice, ignorance, racism, sexism, inequality, it also captures true strength, determination, courage and inspiration.
Here she is, age 70, still absolutely elegant and poised.
she deserves to be re-blogged
this makes me want to cry
YES WENDY. [x]
He is a rude and disrespectful person and is being given very little press attention for his atrocious behaviour. Whereas Miley is being blasted by EVERYONE for her artistic choices.
Hes not disrespectful he saved life’s thanks to all the haters he could be quitting music. The media is trying to tear him apart.. Look he was only 13 when he got signed. Hes been through a lot just respect that. Hes saving life’s right now and every second of the day. Yeah he can say things but he doesn’t mean them.
Reasons why Justin Bieber is a disrespectful jerk:
- he said rape happens for a reason
- he wrote in a guest book at Anne Frank’s house that he ‘wishes she was a Belieber’
- he gagged and spat out a vegan steak that had been specially ordered for him
- he makes his fans pay tons of money to see him live, when he could easily afford tickets to be priced at like $40 instead of $100+
- he visited a children’s hospital in England and made them clear a space for him because he didn’t want to sit with the sick children. He stayed for 5 minutes while the cameras were rolling, then left without so much as a ‘thank you’
- he attacked a photographer at said hospital
- he peed in a restaurent kitchen
- he faked a really bad asthma attack, made his security guards call the paramedics, when they arrived he laughed his ass off and his people payed everyone to keep quiet about it
- he called a car to take him to the mall, then sent it back because he didn’t like the colour. he went to the mall and stayed for 5 minutes before leaving and saying it was the shittest mall he’d ever been to
- he got banned from Disneyland for punching Goofy
- he showed up to his own concert 2 hours late on a school night and then refused to give an explanation
- he is quoted as screaming ‘fuck bill clinton’ and attacking a cameraman, who is suing
- his mother is quoted as saying she ‘hopes he’ll mature soon’
- he spat on an old man’s face
- he threw a temper tantrum in a theatre because he was told he couldn’t bring his subway sandwich in because it was against the rules. he made a huge mess of the theatre and had to be carried out by bodyguards kicking and screaming that they were all worthless monkeys
- he showed up at disney unanounced and demanded that an entire restaurent be cleared so he could eat there, although people had had their reservations booked for months.
- he laughed at and told a woman in a bikini at a hotel swimming pool that she looked like a beached whale
there’s no point in trying to defend him, his actions are disrespectful and wrong and there are no excuses for them
reblogging again bc this^
whose lives are being saved by Beiber seriously?